4:16 PM

Got Date Shirt?


Every girl knows that meticulously piecing together the right outfit is essential in setting the tone for an upcoming date. If it's a first date, that means you need even more time to present the perfect you.

I was recently (recently being approximately 11 months ago) on the search for the perfect Saturday night "Date Shirt" with my Tita Mary. We met after our weekly therapy sessions and settled down to business. First off, it was our ritual meal of chilaquiles, where upon we discussed the needs of the shirt -- stylish, sexy, and soft to the touch - without looking like you tried too hard. Let's face it, guys can hardly remember the color, let alone the outfit, but it's not really for them, is it? A Date Shirt makes us feel sexy, confident, and that my friends is very important when putting your best you forward!

After a breakdown of the upcoming evening and armed with full bellies, we stumbled out into the sunlight, ready to conquer. First off - Anthropologie. This is probably one of my top ten places to shop. Their clothes are feminine, elegant, yet approachable. The only bad part is that their prices aren't. After several trips around the store, my arms were piled with possibility. My Tita Mary was the perfect accomplice -- she waited patiently while I tried on cream shirts, black shirts, cream shirts with rouching, silky blouses, fitted tees, and the oddball potential date dress. She was even there for the mini-freakout, talking me down from the ledge with "Are you kidding? You look beautiful! You're amazing, etc." We all know that is just part of Girl Code. It's what a Mary does - when it gets ugly, compliment, compliment, compliment! A few minutes later I was calmed down enough to look at my thighs in the mirror without cringing. This was perfect timing as I spyed another co-worker of mine, who was also trying on her slew of Date Shirts. Clearly, Anthropologie is the drug of choice.

Even though I had found a true front runner (cream shirt w/ rouching that cleverly disguised pooch), I still wasn't sold on the $60 price. So, we headed back out. Maybe it was low blood sugar, maybe it was just a mistaken case of identity, but we ended up walking into Abercrombie & Fitch. I know, I know. I quickly realized my blunder as I am greeted at the door by a 1/2 naked 16 year old model boy. I think to myself "Where are the flannel shirts and khakis? This is clearly not like my college years. I don't know this place at all!"

After entering the dark lair of prepubescent teens (does that make them tweens?) Tita Mary and I deadlock, staring into each other's eyes, not because the naked man child wannabe has turned us on, but because there is no possible way to communicate with techno music BLASTING from every angle. It feels like I've been teleported into a nightmare and if my potential date smells anything like the dirtee cologne oozing from this place, I am in for a rough evening. Disgusted and on the verge of a panic attack, we ran out, forever scarred.

A few minutes later I was checking out at Anthropologie, delighted to pay the $60.
** And I must say that the Date Shirt was well-received. It got me a call the very next day, but then again, maybe that had more to do with me!

Apparently Date Shirts are important for men, too. Check out this clip from Friends. You can see how disastrous the wrong choice can be!





0 comments: